Mobile app development can be a tricky business. Not the actual development, but how successful it will be. You can increase your chances of the app being successful by conducting thorough market research before you even get to the actual development.
No matter if you are a startup, an established company, or not, you will need a mobile app that is reliable and popular.
Recent research has shown that more than 70% of new mobile apps fail due to a lack of market research.
Let’s first understand the importance of research and why mobile apps fail
- A third of mobile app engagements last less than 60 seconds.
- Apps that don’t have a solid business model are often doomed to fail.
- Many of the unsuccessful apps didn’t have proper research, such as what the market needed. However, they continued to develop.
- App failure can be caused by excessive reliance on paid advertising rather than word-of-mouth publicity.
- Marketing the app is not innovative
What is Market Research?
Market research is simply a way to understand your customers and target audience. It is important to understand not only customer behavior but also why they behave the way they do at each stage of their buyer journey. You must find out what drives them to stick with a brand, their experience, their passions, and so forth. This allows you to find the best solutions and develop targeted marketing strategies.
These are some questions you can ask:
- What keeps you up at night?
- Why can’t you increase your revenue?
- What is causing your efficiency to drop?
- What business model is it?
- Is a mobile app really necessary in order to solve your problems?
These questions will provide you with the insight required to create marketing strategies.
#Bonus Tip – Sometimes, focusing on a small niche can be more rewarding. Although you may not get as many users, the people who do will be more focused and highly qualified. This will increase your ROI.
Research on the Mobile App Market
Two parts of market research for mobile app development are Primary Research and Secondary Research.
- It is important to determine if your app is needed in the market. This can be done through social media posts or online discussion forums. Landing pages are another option.
- This allows you to create a business plan. It can also be used for research on the marketing and sales strategy, the company’s business model, as well as the market.
- This research can also be used to help you create a marketing strategy. You can decide how to market your app, whether organic or paid to advertise, and pinpoint any drawbacks before and after launch.
- The SWOT analysis is a way to ensure that the core of the mobile app is strong.
- Effective social media strategies can be developed by researching the target audience, optimizing social media accounts, and identifying trends.
Effective Strategies for Market Research on Your Mobile App
1. Defining Your target audience
This is crucial. This will help you identify your target audience. It is impossible to reach everyone on the planet; you need to identify your target audience. Identify the following characteristics of your audience:
- Demographics: Age range, gender, education, and income.
- Spending habits
- Attitudes, fears, preferences, dislikes
These traits can be understood by asking questions about:
- What features would potential customers want in an app?
- Customers’ ambitions
- Features that improve the usability
- App industry trends
Your questions should be clear and concise. It will make it easier for respondents to answer your questions.
2. Analyzing the Competition
It doesn’t matter if your idea for mobile application development is great or not. However, it is a good idea to see what others are doing. See what worked for them and what didn’t. This will allow you to incorporate innovative features and usability elements in your mobile application, as well as be original and relevant. Google Trends can be used to find similar ideas. It’s a great tool that allows you to see the relative popularity of search terms. Google has a keyword tool that you can use to find out what users are searching for. It also lets you see what people are looking for at the moment.
3. Do a SWOT analysis
A SWOT analysis can help you improve the core of your app. These are the actions you take:
- List the strengths of your app and define the goals.
- Assessing weaknesses can help you identify potential revenue-generating challenges and pinpoint what needs to be changed.
- You can identify the weaknesses of your competitors, understand consumer behavior, and discover current trends to help you see the potential opportunities that are available to you
- You can check if your app meets industry standards and identify funding issues and other challenges. These are the risks your app faces.
4. Definition of pitch
Simply explaining your app idea is to clearly explain and define what it is. You will need to use engaging text. The pitch should be concise and direct. It is possible to link your landing page with it so that users looking for information can quickly find it.
5. Create a Business Plan
A business plan is essential for your mobile app’s success. It is a roadmap that integrates features such as sales, marketing, revenue, and profit. It should be clear and concise to make things easy for your stakeholders. It is important to include marketing strategies that will help your mobile app succeed.
Your mobile app will be well-received if it has a solid base of market research. Have an idea for a mobile application for your business? Artoon Solutions has over 13+ years of experience creating bespoke digital solutions that meet a variety of needs. We serve small and large companies, startups, and established businesses in all industry verticals. With our dedication to transparency, timely delivery, and transparent service, we have created a niche. For more information, please contact us.